The mission of the Douglas County Backpack Buddies program is to distribute food through the local schools to students in need so that they will benefit from and experience improved academic performance, improved attendance and have fewer behavioral issues. To learn more about the program visit Backpack Buddies NV.
Backpacks with seven meals are distributed to participating students each Friday so that they have adequate and nourishing food over the weekend – preparing them to learn on Monday. Better test scores, improved reading, and math skills decrease in behavior problems, and increased attendance have been attributed to the participation in the Backpack Buddies Programs. The program is dependent on monetary and food donations from the community.
Barrels are available in the church to drop-off donations.
Desired Food Donations
Individual Servings (16oz or less) of:
- Tuna or Chicken – canned or pouch
- Chili, Spaghetti, Ravioli
- Pork & Beans, Vienna Sausages
- Vegetables, Soup, Fruit – canned
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Cereal – individual serving boxes
- Oatmeal- instant packets
- Popcorn – individual microwave packets
- Applesauce Cups
- Granola Bars
- Crackers with Cheese or Peanut Butter
- Nuts, Trail Mix, Fruit Rollups, Raisins